Wollemi Pines- 22-01-2020
• The prehistoric Wollemi Pine grove, which exists in the Wollemi National Park northwest of Sydney, has been saved from bushfires in Australia.
• Wollemi Pines are thought to have existed even during the Jurassic period. The oldest fossil of the rare pine species dates back 90 million years.
• Wollemi National Park is the only place in the world where these trees are found in the wild. Approximately, less than 200 trees are left.
• The pines, which prior to 1994 were thought to be extinct. Their location was kept secret to prevent contamination. They have benefited from an unprecedented environmental protection mission.
• Wollemi Pine (Wollemia Nobilis) is listed as critically endangered in the IUCN Red List.
• Wollemi National Park is a part of the Greater Blue Mountains Area which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.