Eminent Women in UNIV- PIB
• On the occasion of National Girl Child Day (January 24), the Ministry of Women and Child Development announced to set up ten Chairs in different fields with an aim to carry out research activities to encourage women.
• The initiative is called the Establishment of Chairs in the Universities in the name of eminent women.
• It is being launched by Ministry of Women and Child Development with the assistance of the University Grants Commission (UGC).
• To highlight and celebrate women achievers of the country to motivate young girls and women towards higher studies.
• Academic functions of the Chairs will be to engage in research and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the area of the study, strengthen the role of university and academics in public policy making.
• The financial implications of the proposal is 50 lakh rupees per Chair per year and the total expenditure for establishing ten Chairs will be approximately five crore rupees per annum.
• The Chairs are to be established for a period of five years initially as per the guidelines.