STCW Convention-THE HINDU-29-01-2020
• The Union Cabinet has approved the Model MoU with foreign countries for recognition of seafarers’ competency certificates, pursuant to STCW Convention, 1978.
• International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978 sets minimum qualification standards for masters, officers and watch personnel on seagoing merchant ships and large yachts.
• The Convention did not deal with manning levels: IMO provisions in this area are covered by the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), 1974.
• STCW was adopted in 1978 by conference at the International Maritime Organization (IMO) in London, and entered into force in 1984. The Convention was significantly amended in 1995.
• One especially important feature of the Convention is that it applies to ships of non-party States when visiting ports of States which are Parties to the Convention.