Mahadayi Protests cast shadowon film festival inauguration-INDIAN EXPRESS-03-02-2020
• Union environment Minister was heckled by protesters for giving a go-ahead to Karnataka for the Kalasa Banduri project, which aims to provide drinking water to three north Karnataka districts by diverting water from the Mahadayi.
• The Mhadei (or Mahadayi/Mahadeyi) River is described as the lifeline of the Indian state of Goa.
• It originates from a cluster of 30 springs at Bhimgad in the Western Ghats in the Belgaum district of Karnataka. Then it enters Goa and finally drains in Arabian sea.
• The Mandovi and the Zuari are the two primary rivers in the state of Goa.
• Mandovi joins with the Zuari at a common point at Cabo Aguada, forming the Mormugao harbour.
• The two rivers are linked by Cumbarjuem Canal.
• Panaji, the state capital and Old Goa, the former capital of Goa, are both situated on the left bank of the Mandovi.
• The river Mapusais a tributary of the Mandovi.
• Three large freshwater isles — Divar, Chorao and Vashee are present in the Mandovi near the town of Old Goa. The island of Choraois home to the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, named after the renowned ornithologist Salim Ali.