Swachh Sarvekshan Grameen award-THE HINDU-03-02-2020
• The Union Minister of Jal Shakti conferred the Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019 awards to top ranked states, union territories, and districts in the various categories on the occasion of World Toilet Day. Tamil Nadu has been ranked first among the states.
• The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) had commissioned “Swachh Survekshan Grameen-2019” (SSG 2019) through an independent survey agency to develop ranking of all districts of India on the basis of sanitation parameters.
• This ranking was done based on parameters including surveys of public places like schools, Anganwadis, PHCs, Haat/ Bazaars, Panchayat and citizen’s perception of Swachhata and their recommendations for improvement of the program and data from the SBM-G IMIS.
The top ranked States and Districts which received awards are:
• Top 3 States – 1) Tamil Nadu, 2) Haryana, 3) Gujarat
• Top 3 Districts – 1) Peddapalli, Telangana, 2) Faridabad, Haryana, 3) Rewari, Haryana
• State with maximum citizen participation – 1) Uttar Pradesh
Following are the key findings of the SSG survey:
• 5% of people surveyed were aware of SSG 2019;
• 3% of respondents credited SBM-G for the substantial improvement in cleanliness level;
• 83% of respondents reported sufficient arrangements in their village to manage liquid waste and
• 1% citizens reported sufficient arrangements in their village to manage solid waste.