Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level : Commonwealth
Mains level : International organisation
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has congratulated Maldives on rejoining the Commonwealth.
• Maldives had left the Commonwealth under the previous Yameen administration in October 2016.
• The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 54 independent and equal sovereign states, nearly all of them former territories of the British Empire.
• The headquarters is located in London, United Kingdom.
• The current Commonwealth of Nations was formally constituted by the London Declaration in 1949.
• 54 countries are members of the Commonwealth with Maldives becoming the 54th member of Commonwealth family.
• All members have an equal say – regardless of size or economic stature. This ensures even the smallest member countries have a voice in shaping the Commonwealth.
• Every two years, members meet to discuss issues affecting the Commonwealth and the wider world at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM).